This will be the first of many restaurant reviews, hopefully! I like to eat and my physique is a testament to that. So, I thought I would put my love of food to good use. Now, you may disagree with me on some of these critiques, but I still would love to hear what you think of the place if you have been there. So to begin, here is what I thought of El Paisano's Mexican Restaurant in South City.
The restaurant was a small, but nicely decorated establishment on Watson Road, near Fyler. I was with a good friend of mine and he suggested Mexican, but had never tried this place. We were seated in a booth away from other customers, but between the entryway and kitchen. The hustling of the waiters did not make for a laid back or relaxing atmosphere. In fact, the restaurant was a bit too loud for my taste.
We both ordered a lime margarita on the rocks, which was of good size, little liquor and too expensive. Chips and salsa were brought out and they were typical. I ordered one of their specials, Enchilada Suizas with re-fried beans and rice, and my friend ordered a beef chimichanga with the same sides. The entrees were good. In fact, my salsa verde was quite spicy, which was a pleasant surprise. We had ordered queso, but it took a while for it to make it to the table.
While we were eating, a horrible noise began in the back of the restaurant near the bar. At first, I thought one of the waiters had dropped something, but it continued for nearly fifteen minutes. I believe now that it was the world's most annoying tambourine, but it sounded like someone shaking a bucket of flatware. This was followed by a solo guitarist who traveled from table to table singing various Hispanic songs. I will not lie, I found it entertaining and he seemed talented. However, he should have stuck with what he knew. My margarita almost came out of my nose when he started playing "You Are My Sunshine."
For dessert, I ordered the sopapilla. It was not what I was expecting, as it was topped with ice cream, whipped cream and sprinkles. Somethings are best left alone. I would have preferred my sopapillas tossed in cinnamon and sugar with honey and chocolate sauce on the side for dipping. I am not suggesting that this dessert was horrible, but it could have been better presented.
Realizing that our table may have been the next victim for the troubadour, we paid our bill and high-tailed it out of the restaurant. Our bill for two margaritas, two entrees, queso and the sopapilla was around forty-three dollars, not including tip. I thought this rather expensive for a Mexican joint; after all, most of the food is similar in all Hispanic restaurants. In conclusion, this restaurant was overpriced for the atmosphere, food and especially the drinks. There are similar Mexican restaurants across the city with better food and more reasonable prices. I do not think I will be visiting El Paisano's again.
If you are interested in visiting this restaurant it has two locations; one in South City and another in Creve Coeur. Should you visit it, or if you already have, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts. Just leave a comment!
No comments:
Post a Comment