Thursday, July 26, 2012

Ironic: Life at the Cemetery

Calvary Cemetery, St. Louis, MO

So, I am in my third week at my new job as a counselor for The Catholic Cemeteries of the Archdiocese of St. Louis.  Some would suggest that I am still in my "honeymoon phase" of the job, and I would probably agree with them.  But, I really love working at such a great, historical place!  
 
Needless to say, my bosses and co-workers are some of the nicest people and everyone is very welcoming and quick to help me learn the ropes (of which there are many).  My day starts at 8:30 every morning and ends around 4:00 in the afternoon.  These are the hours of the office at the cemetery that services all of the Catholic cemeteries north of I-64/I-40.  I have an half-hour for lunch and have taken it on the beautiful grounds of Calvary.  

With this job, things can be very, very slow or things can be very, very busy!  Many of our calls come from funeral homes desiring information prior to the internment of a deceased individual, and some come from monument companies making sure that foundations have been set and their marker approved for erection on various gravesites.  Occasionally, there are also families that call looking or long-lost relatives they suspect are buried at Calvary.  Many inquiries of various natures makes one quick on his feet, that is certain!  And, I have had to learn that certain projects just have to wait for the next day, despite my tendency to want to have all my "i's dotted and t's crossed" before leaving the office at the end of the day!  I suppose that this is a lesson in patience from our loving Lord!  
 
Thus far, I have learned something new every day while at work!  This is my favorite aspect of the job!  Our vault has records dating from the foundation of the 477-acre cemetery in the mid-19th century, so I have plenty of books to peruse when things get slow.  Also, I have met some very interesting people who have come into the office for various reasons.  One day a woman that takes photographs for Find-A-Grave came in needing assistance.  Today, a documentary film-maker came in wanting information on the infamous Section 10.  (For those in the know, that area is devoted exclusively for the victims of the horrible cholera epidemic area swept through St. Louis between 1849 and 1855.)  Meeting all of these interesting people make my day!

Another great aspect of the job are the spiritual benefits.  Constantly, I am reminded of the Last Things:  death, judgment, heaven and hell.  Death comes to us all eventually, sometimes unexpectedly, and it helps to be prepared emotionally and spiritually for that reality.  With this constant memento mori, I am also joyful in the hope of the Resurrection of the Dead on the Last Day!  This is why we give the vessel that is our body such care, even after the departure of the soul.  And, I can say that every day I do a few corporal works of mercy by ensuring that the faithful departed are given proper and decent repose.
 
How many people can say that they do such things during their work day?
 
Calvary Cemetery Administration Building
(Where I spend the majority of my time.)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment